We’re going on a bicycle trip through Europe and that means: the lighter our packs, the better! So we’re trying to stick with the essentials when it comes to food, clothes and toiletry.
As you can see in my post about clean bathroom rituals, I make a lot of stuff at home because I’m pretty picky about ingredients and packaging. For this trip I chose a couple of basics and made some new products:
- Rose water: great for cleansing the skin in the morning and evening and as a refreshing spray during the day.
- Deodorant: crushed alum stone mixed with water, plus some drops of essential oil for a fresh scent (I used mint).
- Essential lavender oil: can be added to ointment for a soothing effect, on a tissue in the tent for good sleep, directly on insect bites to stop itching, etc.
- Essential tea tree oil: good for disinfecting or on skin impurities.
- Arrow root powder: I use this as a dry shampoo. Might come in handy since we’ll be camping most of the time…
- JE T’AIME: Marseille soap for body, hair or clothes.
- Healing balm: homemade ointment with st john’s wort oil, beeswax and calendula (marigold) for cuts, bruises, rashes, …
- Disinfectant: homemade yarrow tincture diluted with water.
- Shampoo: a small refill bottle with liquid natural shampoo.
- Aloe Vera gel: to soothe the skin after a day of sun exposure.
- Muscle oil: st john’s wort oil base with essential oils of wintergreen, lemon eucalyptus and lavender. Good to massage our sore muscles after cycling ánd keeps mosquitos away.
- Small pouch with scissors, tweezers, and nail clipper.
What’s missing in the picture is sunscreen, toothpaste (solid charcoal one from Pachamamaï), bamboo toothbrush and wooden hairbrush. That’s about it!
I’ll be posting more about our trip in a few weeks.