A selection of my favourite herbs for common ailments:
- Chamomile: delicious tea, helps you relax and sleep at night, good for the stomach and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also wonderful for the skin in a steam bath: dried herbs in a pot, let simmer, place a towel over your head and soak up the goodness.
- Fennel: great for bloating, gas and cramps. Good digestive tea.
- Thyme: for sore throat, ally during colds, flu. Antibacterial and disinfectant properties.
- Stinging nettle: purifying, diuretic (increases production of urine), rich in minerals and chlorophyll. In tea, soup, pancakes, quiche, as chips, … So many options! Once heated they no longer sting.
- Ginger: for nausea, digestion, energy, has warming properties.
- Mint: digestive, for stomach issues, cramps, energy.
- Lemon balm: soothes the stomach and calms the nerve system. Good for stress, anxiety, cramps.
- Turmeric (curcuma): anti-inflammatory champion. Used for ‘Golden milk’: grated curcuma root, boil in plant-based milk (I use oat milk), maybe add honey when it cools down (above 40º it looses its medicinal properties).